The Rangitikei Adventure Race is based around different sections of the Rangitikei River known as ‘The Jewel in the Crown’ of the region and thus gives its name to the surrounding district which in fact means “The Day of Striding Out” which is rather fitting for and adventure race!
At 240kms the Rangitikei River is one of New Zealand’s longest and most scenically stunning rivers. It’s sheer vertical papa (clay) white cliffs (which are unique to this part of NZ) and deep canyons provide the perfect setting for adventure activities such as white water rafting and kayaking. The river is surrounded by some of the most scenic (and steep) farmland in NZ and is bordered by the Kaimanawa and Ruahine Ranges.
This year the Rangitikei Adventure Race will include a 6hr duathlon and 12hr paddling and non-paddling options and all will be run in a rogaine style format. This means you can collect as many or as few checkpoints as you want or are able to according to your team’s ability with the 6 or 12 hours. If you are new to AR then you may only want to collect 4-5 checkpoints per stage and cruise around the course, if you are more competitive you may want to try and clear the course. If you have always wanted to step up in race duration, this is the perfect opportunity to do that as you make it as easy or hard as you chose. Strategise and race to your strengths whether that be in the trekking legs or on the mountain bike stages.
You will not require a support crew for any of the events.
The paddling stage for the 12hr will include the option of either supplying your own packrafts or hiring double inflatable kayaks (these are now all booked). If you wanted to step up to the 12hr race but are not a confident paddler we will also offer the option of guided rafting down the river. (Rafts still available). There are limited inflatables and rafts available so entries will be limited for this option!
The hire costs for the double inflatable kayaks are $100 and for the guided raft is $400 for a team of 4 or $100 per team member. This can be booked and paid for on the entry form.
The Rangitikei Adventure Race is part of the Adventure1 series that brings together 4 events around the country to form a National Championship. The 12hr event is part of the A1 Series.
There are a range of course lengths and categories to suit teams of different abilities.
Team Sizes – 2, 3 or 4 people.
Course Length – 6 or 12 hours.
Age Categories – Open, Senior (over 50), School (all school age), Family (at least one adult with high school age children).
Gender Categories – Male, Female, Mixed.
The premier event is the mixed team of 4 in the 12Hr Paddling.
12 Hr Paddling Course – includes mountain biking, trekking, navigation, packrafting, mystery activity.
12Hr Duathlon Course – includes mountain biking, trekking, navigation, mystery activity.
6Hr Duathlon Course – mountain biking, trekking, navigation, mystery activity.
Raft hire is not included in the entry fee but is an add on option on the entry form. Any combination of rafts is acceptable (i.e solo rafts, or doubles). Teams must supply river-worthy packraft(s) at registration for the 12hr or hire the ones supplied.
Late entry fees apply from 1st May 2022. Entries close Sunday 8th May
School teams – must have all team members enrolled at High School.
Family teams – must have at least one adult (over 18) and any number of high school aged students.
Minimum age for entry 12 years old (unless prior permission granted).
Withdrawals – Teams who wish to withdraw from the race must notify the race organisers by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Teams withdrawing by the 31st of March will be refunded 70% entry fee. Withdrawals in April will be refunded 20% of entry fee. There will be no refunds for withdrawals received on or after May 1st.
Cancellation – If the event is cancelled due to circumstances outside of the organisers control entries will be deferred to a future race date. There will be no refunds given.
12Hr Standard Entry $200pp
Late Entry: $225
12Hr High School Teams $95pp
Late Entry: $120
6Hr Standard Entry $140pp
Late Entry: $165pp
6Hr High School Entry $65pp
Late Entry: $90
Family Entry- adults pay corresponding adult entry and school aged pay the corresponding high school entry.
If you are using online banking: Rangitikei Adventure Race 06-0613-0082782-02
Please use the statement details as follows…
Particulars- Race Length 6 or 12 Hour
Code- Number of people in your team
Reference- YOUR TEAMS NAME- Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t all fit just do as much as you can. Once entered please don’t change you teams name as its linked to your payment)
Enter Here: http://eventplus.net/RAR21
You can race in a team of 2, 3 or 4 people and either mixed, or male or all female. The premier event is the mixed team of 4.
Mountain biking – the mountain biking will take place on gravel roads and farm land. Be prepared for some steep hills, mud and lots of up and down!
Trekking – the trekking will be a mixture of trails, streams, native bush and farmland.
Navigation – a key part of the race is navigating to the checkpoints using map and compass. No GPS allowed. Maps are provided and are generally topographical style maps. The 6hr race will be beginner – intermediate level with some of the checkpoints being trickier to navigate to to test those wanting to push themselves.
The 12hr event will feature challenging off track navigation. Be prepared to use your compass and traverse some steep terrain.
Packrafting or Rafting – The paddling will be on the Rangitikei River and be grade II+. There will potentially be 1 or 2 portage spots where you will have to carry your packraft around the rapid for safety reasons. You must be a competent swimmer and familiar with self rescue in a river. Either provide your own packraft, rent an inflatable kayak (add on the entry form) or jump in a raft with a guide -limited number available. There are also a very limited number of Packrafts to hire once the inflatable kayaks have all been booked out. Please email me directly to book these: email@example.com
Mystery activities – to be revealed on the day!
Race Timetable – 2022
Preliminary Race Programme
Friday 13th May 2022
- 4pm – 6pm – Race Registration in Taihape
- Gear Check
- Race Directors available to answer questions
- Team Changes/Payments
- Race Waiver
- 6:30pm – 12 Hr race briefing, map handout
- 7pm – 6 Hr race briefing, map handout
Saturday 14th May 2022
- 7am – 12 Hr race start.
- 10am – 6 Hr race start.
There will be food available to purchase at the end of your race as a local school fundraiser. Venison burgers, Vege burgers, and soup, so please bring cash to support the school.
Sunday 15th May 2022
10am Prizegiving in Taihape
We will be collecting the cell phone number from the phone you will be taking. There will be spot gear checks during the race and if you don’t have an item a 2hr time penalty will be given to your team.
The weather could be wet and cold so please bring all the clothes you require for the race. Please check the gear list carefully and ensure you have everything listed.
Compulsory Gear Lists Below…
12hr Enter here: http://eventplus.net/RAR21
INDIVIDUAL (must be carried by each person for all stages)
- Survival blanket or bag
- Thermal top long-sleeved – Merino or Polyprop
- Thermal bottoms
- Fleece/Merino Top (200 weight min)long sleeves
- Thermal gloves
- Waterproof jacket – ( this must be seamed sealed ) no wind breakers, plastic ponchos, puffer jackets)
- Waterproof overtrousers
- Head lamp with spare batteries
- Gold coin per person for mystery activity
- Cycle helmet
- Mountain Bike (brakes must work, tires in good condition)Gravel bikes not suitable.
- Rear red flashing bike light
- First Aid kit – Minimum: triangular bandage, crepe bandage, strapping tape, knife, antihistamine, plasters, pain relief.
- Compass -2 per team
- Waterproof Topo Maps- Provided
- Cell Phone (Fully Charged and turned off)
- Emergency Locator Beacon
- Large Gear Box 60L-120L for transition drop
PADDLING – 12HR ONLY
Please note: If you are hiring an inflatable kayak or raft through the race then you will also be supplied with a PFD, paddle and helmet. If you are hiring a packraft you will need to source your own paddles, PFD’s and helmets.
- 1 Lifejacket (PFD) per person
- Whitewater helmet
- Wetsuit per person, long recommended.
- 1 pump/bailer per boat ( if not self bailing)
- 1 paddle per person- does not need top be a split paddle but easier to transport.
- Drybags to fit your packs in to keep compulsory gear dry
- Packrafts, Inflatable Kayaks or Rafts that are suitable for grade II+ water and can comfortably fit your team. If in doubt please bring to registration and/or check beforehand.
- Tie downs for on the pack raft or raft to secure your drybags.
- 1 or 2 large duffel bags for your packrafts, wesuits, PFD’s, paddles (named or easily identified by your team).
6hr enter here: http://eventplus.net/RAR21
INDIVIDUAL (must be carried by each person)
- Survival blanket or bag
- Thermal top long-sleeved-Merino or Polyprop
- Fleece/Merino Top (200 weight min) long sleeves
- Thermal bottoms Merino or Polyprop
- Thermal gloves
- Water proof Jacket-( this must be seamed sealed ) no wind breakers, plastic ponchos, puffer jackets)
- Gold coin per person for mystery activity
- Cycle helmet
- Mountain Bike(brakes must work, wheels safe, tires in good condition) Gravel bikes not suitable.
- Rear Red Flashing Bike light
- First Aid kit – Minimum: triangular bandage, crepe bandage, strapping tape, knife, antihistamine, any team medication.
- Compass – 2 per team
- Waterproof Topo Maps – Provided
- Cell Phone(Fully charged and turned off in a waterproof bag)
You have several options for accommodation. There are several motels in Taihape. River Valley have cabins and lodge style accommodation. Awastone in Mangaweka have cabins available and camping options. Tarata Lodge have several houses and lodges available for to rent for the weekend.
www.rivervalley.co.nz- 35 mins to Taihape
www.mangaweka.co.nz (Awastone)- 15mins to Taihape
www.tarata.co.nz- 30 mins to Taihape